Tuesday, November 7, 2017

whoops...I missed Monday!

Here is a 'thingy' for this week.  

I like to use slip stitches as a kind of exoskeleton for firming up small, random, sculptural crochet pieces like this one.  

One of these days I plan on doing a whole series of them, but for the moment.......


Sunday, October 29, 2017

Monday again already....

Seems that it's Monday again already...

...and so here, as promised, is a scrumble for this week.  It's rather an old one, I'm afraid (from 2003), but still nice and vibrant, don't you think? 

The yarns used for crocheting the 'flowers' were loopy/boucle mohair blends, and they had been hand dyed...plus there's some Noro yarn used in the background, and also for knitting the leafy shape shown below in the photo of the larger piece:


Sunday, October 22, 2017

not exactly a scrumble...

My photo today is not exactly a 'normal' scrumble, but it is freeform crochet.   

I started by using a fairly thick synthetic (nylon?) macramé cord to create the central spiral, then extended it by adding other stitches using fine mercerised cottons and glittery threads. 

The macramé cord was also used to needle-wrap some of the bars that hold the central crocheted piece in place, and also for finger wrapping around the recycled embroidery hoop into which the crochet has been suspended.  

To complete the piece I added 3 lengths of i-cord...and some large crystal pendants (only one of which is obvious in the photo, but there are others at the end of each the 'dangles').

This piece was created last year, for an exhibit titled 'Dare to Dream'.

Let me know if you ever decide to make your own freeform dreamcatcher.  Would love to see photos!  :-)

Saturday, October 21, 2017

today's scrumble is ruffled

OK, taking a quick break from what I am currently working on, so here is a photo of another one :-)

Friday, October 20, 2017

a creamy scrumble


This freeform piece was worked using odds and ends of many different creamy-coloured yarns that I had in my stash, plus a little bit of brown, grey and yellow mixed in for contrast.  

It is mostly crochet, but also includes a couple of areas in knitted linen stitch.   These sections were worked using 3 colours, alternating 1 colour per row.  I like the little spots of colour and the textured effect that linen stitch gives when it is worked this way.  

For the bullions, I chose a lovely single-ply pure silk yarn that has plenty of body ('spaghetti' from The Loom in Bangkok).  It was originally created as a weaving yarn, but it crochets and knits up fabulously too.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

still scrumbling :-)

It's been absolutely ages since I posted anything on this blog, so I figured it was probably about time to add another scrumble or two  ;-)  

Here's a closeup of a section of one (with lots of crochet bullions and a little bit of embroidery) that I did last year (or maybe it was the year before!).   If anyone is still reading here, let me know, and I will aim to post a few more photos periodically.  I can't promise it will actually be weekly, but for the moment I'll aim for a new addition on Monday mornings, and I'll see how I go.