Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Scrumble #40

Sometimes it just happens that freeform knitting and crocheting has a mind of its own. No matter what you try to do, some scrumbles seem to be intent on becoming something you were not expecting.

About half way through creating this particular mauve and purple piece I turned it around to add something to another side, and suddenly discovered that it was morphing into...

...a bear in a hat!

The crocheted lurex ruffle had become more like an eye than a flower, the knitted cable was now looking very snout-like, and the bullion clusters seemed to have positioned themselves just where ears and a nose should be.

Since that definitely hadn't been my intention, I started to think about the best way to detract from the impression I was getting...but each time I looked at the scrumble from a certain angle that blasted bear was still there, winking at me.

So don't laugh! In the end I just gave up and went along with it, adding a bobble for an eyeball, a crochet edging around the 'collar', and some purple bouclé ribbons streaming from the back of her hat.

Hope you like her ;-)


.

14 comments:

  1. Well I for one am smiling at the outcome! Such a lovely little bear ready for her "Little Bear Picnic"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOvely -- We are so excited as just about to embark on a trip "down under" to your lovely land under a different sky! xx Will give you a scrumbly wave when we are on the Bus from Brisbane to Byron Bay ! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. have a great trip, Linda; look left as you head south, and you might just spot me giving you a scrumbly wave back from the top of daisy hill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, I fell it is a fish, sorry my English is not good enough to tell you how great you are and all the time a see your creations my heart is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until scrolling dfown to see the whole thing, i saw a fish too........lol..and in such great fishy colors! ktj

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehehe, Atelie and Katiejayinpa...someone at Ravelry said they saw a fish there, too. I didn't notice the fish at all, but I guess it was lurking in there too.

    just shows that scrumbling, like beauty (and all abstract art!), is in the eye of the beholder

    but strangely enough, I have another scrumble languishing here that has been reminding me of a fish...perhaps I should finish that one for # 41, and allow it to become as fishy as it wants!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the bear with a hat...and a bowtie. Wonderful scrumble Prudence! I would call the bear a happy accident.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Boo Boo, Where's Yogo Bear! Love this little bear-Go with the flow it works the best. Just found your blog-Love it. I want to learn this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, of course I like her. As everything which appears on your blog. When I see your scrumbles I want to immediately go out to buy the wonderful coloured wool. Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bear. Isn't it strange how sometimes yarn has a mind of its own and makes something you never invisioned?

    Hugs and happy scrumbling,

    Kae

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it is just best not to fight it! Your bear is wonderful! I followed your scrumble link from Jennie's blog and am glad I did. Never heard of scrumbles, but these are amazing! LOve the last two you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I've been wanting to try this and attach it to a small nuno piece.

    ReplyDelete